State scholarships are awarded to eligible students in all fifty states and the District of Columbia. The program specifically assists high school students who have faced and overcome great obstacles in their young lives. The scholarships are funded by Horatio Alger Members who, like the Scholars, have experienced challenges but ultimately overcame them to become successful business and civic leaders.
- Be a United States citizen
- Maintain a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.0
- Display integrity and perseverance in overcoming adversity
- Be involved in co-curricular and community service activities
- Demonstrate critical financial need ($55,000 or lower adjusted gross family income is required)
- Exhibit a strong commitment to pursue and complete a bachelor’s degree at an accredited non-profit public or private institution in the United States (students may start their studies at a two-year institution and then transfer to a four-year institution)
- Be enrolled full time as a high school senior in the United States; be progressing normally toward graduation in spring/summer of 2019 with plans to enter a college in the United States no later than the fall following graduation