We are thrilled to have expanded guidance for our students, families, and staff to ensure our transgender, non-binary, and gender-expansive students thrive academically, socially, and emotionally.
This guidance provides:
- The rationale for inclusive policies and practices to support transgender, non-binary, and gender-expansive students
- Detailed information on protective Federal, State, and District laws and policies
- Educational resources to build knowledge and inclusive language around gender identity
- Best practice guidelines to support students' school-based gender transitions including: gender support planning, confidentiality, name/pronoun changes, and restroom/changing spaces.
- Inclusive classroom and school wide practices that affirm students of all gender identities.
Email Sherie Hohs (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information about this booklet.
- Check out our "Know Your Rights" poster project. We have beautiful posters up in all MMSD buildings to inform students about their rights at school. HERE is a resource sheet to help you share this information with staff, students, & families.
- The Gender Unicorn from the TSER (Trans Student Educational Resources)
- Videos from Minus 18 / YGender:
- GLSEN Webinar: Educators! Support Transgender & Gender Non-conforming Students in Schools (34 min)
- MMSD introduces All Gender Restrooms district-wide
- Support for families of Transgender Youth~ Transparent Group
- Video from Human Rights Campaign: Mothers of Transgender children
"We have incredible transgender students, staff and families throughout our district... We are dedicated to creating inclusive and welcoming learning communities... We will not waiver in our commitment to inclusive practices in our schools."
Superintendent Jennifer Cheatham
of LGBTQ+ students felt supported by their peers when taught with a LGBTQ+ inclusive curriculum. Those students also heard less anti-LGBTQ+ remarks, had increased feelings of safety in school, and missed school less often.