The Department of Student Services has two overarching areas of responsibility:
Providing supports/services/instruction to all students in the areas of physical/mental/behavioral health.
Providing specialized services and supports such that students with disabilities are appropriately identified and receive a free appropriate public education through special education/related services and/or §504 accommodations resulting in meaningful benefit.
Provide state and federal resources to remove educational barriers and equitably support students, staff and families (a new area of responsibility).
Student Services, which includes special education and related services staff provide the necessary resources and supports to assist students in accessing high quality instruction, especially those experiencing barriers to success in areas such as attendance, achievement, behavior, physical health, mental health, and basic needs. By promoting wellness for the whole child, this department contributes to the district vision of preparing all children to be college, career and community ready upon graduation
Vision: All students will live, work and thrive as contributing and valued members of our community
Mission: To achieve MMSD Vision 2030, we work collaboratively to provide high-quality, equitable, inclusive instruction and services to engage all students in high levels of learning.
- We believe that excellent public education is necessary for ensuring a democratic society.
- We believe in the abilities of every individual in our community and the value of their life experiences.
- We believe in an inclusive community in which all have the right to contribute.
- We believe we have a collective responsibility to create and sustain a safe environment that is respectful, engaging, vibrant and culturally responsive.
- We believe that every individual can learn and will grow as a learner.
- We believe in continuous improvement informed by critical evaluation and reflection.
- We believe that resources are critical to education and we are responsible for their equitable and effective use.
- We believe that dimensions of identity (race, disability, sexual orientation, gender or language) are assets which enhance curriculum, instruction and school culture.
- We believe in culturally relevant education that provides the knowledge and skills to meet the global challenges and opportunities of the 21stcentury.