545 W. Dayton Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
Fax: (608) 442-2183
School Counselors support students in the areas of: academics, career planning, and personal/social concerns. We believe that by supporting students to develop strong skills in these areas we will help them to become conscientious, creative, and compassionate members of their personal, local and global communities.
- To develop a love for lifelong learning.
- To set and achieve realistic and attainable educational goals.
- To understand how current school success opens doors to future opportunities.
- To take advantage of all the educational opportunities available to them and to make informed choices about course selection.
- To strive to challenge themselves by seeking out rigor.
- To explore and identify personal interests, skills, values, strengths/challenges and understand how knowledge of these things can help them identify “good fits” in terms of potential future careers.
- To develop career exploration skills (e.g., use of career-related websites, networking, job shadowing, etc.) and career management strategies (e.g., interpersonal skills, that will help them to find success in the world of work.
- To identify career clusters of interest and understand the education and/or training needed to attain those careers.
- To set realistic and attainable career goals and to make current choices consistent with these goals.
Personal & Social Concerns
- To cultivate self-awareness, self-acceptance, self-esteem and self-discipline.
- To develop goal-setting skills and to use their self-awareness to make healthy, informed choices that support them in attaining their goals.
- To strengthen interpersonal skills that foster positive peer connections, increase capacity for conflict resolution and promote resiliency.